Saturday, July 9, 2011
"Sea Lion Goth Blues"
I once heard that the Growlers have labelled their style of music as "beach goth" and that has always struck me as a perfect title for their particular style of music. It has a dark macabre sound that brings images of spooky nights lit by cheshire moons to mind. However, it also has the echoing reverb, splashy symbols and twangy guitar rifts of an old 1960s surf band. These two sounds, brought together, create an atmosphere that makes you want to hoist a jug of rum over your head and dance like a swashbuckler. A friend of mine once said it sounded as if Jim Morrison decided to start a beach band and I couldn't agree more.
I've seen the Growlers in concert twice and both times they were phenomenal. I'm not very mobile during shows (more of a nod your head and comment at the beginning of every song "I like this song" kind of guy) but at a Growlers show it is nearly impossible to not sway to the music. The band is fun and lively, with a lead vocalist (Brooks Nielsen) who constantly engages with the audience (I vividly remember him screaming at the audience that this next song was "gonna be an acid trip" and then laughing and saying "kill your parents!") and also wears very pretty old lady hats and sweaters on occasion. If they come to your area I highly recommend you see them.
"Sea Lion Goth Blues," from their album "Hot Tropics" is more of a surf song than a macabre dirge but it is still a pretty good example of the kind of music they play. I've been humming this song for two days now which makes it the top candidate for my song of the day. I hope you enjoy this catchy surf beat as much as I do.
Here's the music video for Sea Lion Goth Blues: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlrrrjTSj50
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment